Monday, 30 April 2012

Daisy Chain Quilt

The sun finally came out today so I grabbed some quick photos of my latest finish. I'm super pleased with how this turned out. Usually I have a pretty good idea of what the finished quilt will be before I start, but this one has been unusually organic. I had a layercake (10inch squares) of a Moda line called Bonnie and Camille Ruby. I wanted an applique project, I was messing about with a compass and this is where I ended up. The front is very soft and subtle and I love the contrast with the floral explosion on the back. The fabric for the backing is from ikea. The Ikea fabric is a bit of an experiment, I usually use quilting cotton and I kind of expected it to shrink a bit but it looks great so far. I'll definately use it again as a bargain option. I used Kona cotton in Ash as the background, cut a cardboard template of the petal shape and set to making freezer paper templates which I hand appliqued to the background.

I hand quilted in a soft grey thread using the same cardboard template in the negative spaces and around the circles. I'm happy it turned out so nicely. It did sit on the 'to be quilted' pile for a month while I turned over ideas of how to 'fill' the space. Its bound in the red and white spot from the fabric line with a little splash of the flower backing where the binding ran short. I do love a red binding, especially polka dot, always a winner.