Monday 9 December 2013

Wonky Log Cabin Finish





It's a glorious winters day today here in the Chiltern hills. The sun is shining, it's almost warm, all my Christmas lights are twinkling, all is well.

Last night a Strictly/Xfactor/I'm a Celebrity marathon TV stint meant I really motored through some hand sewing, it's great when you don't actually need to WATCH the TV to get what's happening. I've been quilting this Wonky Log Cabin for January's class on and off all autumn actually in between my Heather Ross Hexey Honeycomb Quilt and my third version of Modern Appliqué ( which i don't think I've shown on the blog yet, but I must!).

Last night I finished quilting it, bound it and whizzed it through the washing machine to get those quilty wrinkles I love. Reality TV is definitely good for my productivity!

Ohh look, there's my dog.
You'll perhaps remember my early summer Log Cabin frenzy (before the English Paper Piecing vibe kicked in!). I now have only my Pony Picture Frames Log Cabin Quilt still to get hand quilted before my class so I have just basted it all ready to start - only a week or two left of TV trash to sustain this sewing pace before some classy period dramas take over in Jan and I have to start actually WATCHING the TV on a Sunday evening!!

I hand quilted this quilt ( I hand quilt all my quilts actually)using an orange peel design that mirrored the fabric on the back. I usually like hand quilting for its flexibility, allowing  you to vary the quilting to suit different areas of the quilt, but this time I wanted an edge to edge look to the quilting and this was fun to do.