Wednesday 30 July 2014

September Blue Cotton Lawn Girls Skirt

We picked up a bolt of the new September Blue in Lawn today from Dashwood. We couldn't resist cutting straight into it before it even made it to the shop! There's a real fabric trend into other 'substrates' ( got to love using that word whenever you can!). There will be so many Lawns, Voiles, Rayons and other great fabric types about next season and we're loving the choice it brings and have some fab fabric on order and great projects to use them through the autumn.

I've always been a huge fan of lawn. Obviously Liberty fabric is most famously available in a lawn and I've used it for dressmaking, quilts and the occasional luxurious homemade hankie! Anna Maria Horner was one of the first designers to embrace the options of other fabric types. Her Little Folks Voile was a real favourite of mine.I made a favourite quilt with the softest buttery feel to it which still sits over my kitchen chair. I love a quilted lawn.


 I just dropped off at the long arm quilters a quilt I made about 5 years ago, I made the top and never finished the quilting. It's Liberty lawn, Single Wedding Ring to the modern pattern Single Girl by Denyse Schmidt. I loved making it. I don't really know why it never got finished. I think I had a baby. It can really mess with your WIP scheduling you know! I'll share it when it comes back. I'm really excited about having it finished at last!


Anyway, I digress. Lawn. I love it. Turns out so do my girls. They see a lot of fabric which means they are pretty much my most discerning customers. This one they LOVED. It feels so nice. It's such a nice blue. It's got little pink birds on it. Mummy can we make a skirt? By the time we stopped the car on our drive we had it all planned out.

September Blue Lawn. A light grey voile we had in stash as a lightweight summer lining. A free pattern from Kaufman that we always return to for a quick easy summer skirt - try it it's a doddle and you can whip up a whole batch if you have lots of daughters/ their friends round/ neices etc!

45mins later they were swinging in the sunshine in their skirts (un hemmed - I'll have that job tonight, they couldn't wait!). We're not Blue about September when there's so much summer sewing fun to be had first. Now I'm off to make another 4 skirts. phew

x