Saturday 30 August 2014

Autumn Sewing at PlainStitch


Are you watching The Great British Bake Off? Course you are! Everyone is. Gosh wasn't it exciting this week- controversy! We're working our way through Mary Berry's Quick Cakes book with my girls. Of course, for serious baking you need a serious pinny. I've been brainstorming with PlainStitch Teacher Kasha Leech thinking about the perfect pinny. We're a little bit obsessed, and super picky about it. However now we're pretty sure we've made it.


This new pinny for a class this autumn is everything a perfect pinny should be in our book. It suits everyone, looks great on, is feminine without being..well...frilly... it's just glamorous in a retro 1950's kind of way. It shows off your favourite prints so well. Best of all it's fully reversible so you can cook on Christmas Day and look just as glam on Boxing Day too. Choose some favourite fabrics and come along and make one over 2 classes in November. 



While we're making domestic improvements we also have a quick fun pop up class to renovate your sewing ironing board with a bright patchwork cover in November too, 


Or update your cushions with our Patchwork Cushions Class in October. I can't wait to get started on this class, I'm getting the first stirrings of autumn hibernation syndrome and some cosy new cushions is def on my list.

This cooler weather is finally allowing my 'seasonally-inappropriate-fabric-scarf-obsession' to blossom! If you follow PlainStitch on Facebook you'll know that I've spent all summer gripped by a desire to make scarves! It started with the much beloved Emmy Grace Dark Flowers fabric which I love so much I just wanted to WEAR IT!




I've made tens of these infinity scarves over the years, usually using precious Liberty Lawns, but the lovely drape of these Art Gallery fabrics persuaded me to try out my favourite scarf style again. Well of course I couldn't just make one!! Problem was it was hovering around 25C degrees as I made them. This drop in temperatures has made me happy in my warm scarves! By popular demand I'm running a Pop Up Class to make these in November. It's already busy with those of you who requested the class, but do drop us a note if you'd like to join in. They also make fab pressies for Christmas.



In preparation for autumn I've also been making Hot Water Bottle Covers for the class in November. It's not quite cold enough to use them yet - but I love having them all lined up and ready to press into action when the toes start to get chilly. They'll be at The Workroom on display until it gets too cold!

Let's not wish summer away though, It's having a resurgence next week if the weather man is correct, but if you want to make sure you have some happy autumn sewing to look forward to as the days draw in, do start having a think about what your autumn projects will be - it's definitely the way to feel good about the seasons change. 

 Visit our Autumn classes page to see more details of any of these classes.

p.s See You at The Wendover Sewing Bee at St Anne's on the 9th at 9.30am to chat, sew and share Autumn Sewing Plans xx